Our Values and Ethos
In 2015 we began a University-wide consultation to define the core values that resonate most with our staff and students and that will enable us to achieve the ambitions described in The 2025 Agenda.
This process started with a values survey that asked students and staff to share their inherent personal values together with the values they felt prevailed within the workplace plus those that they felt would best represent the desired future for the culture of our University.
Thank you to all of the staff and students who responded to this survey, resulting in a deeper consultation designed to refine our collective understanding of what these values actually mean to our people. This was complemented by a series of workshops that explored the context of the values themselves and how these might be described in terms of meaningful behaviours. Throughout this process, a core group of values champions gave generously of their time and were integral in redefining Flinders’ core values.
Ultimately, four core values emerged, namely Integrity, Courage, Innovation and Excellence, alongside an underlying ethos that is committed to being Student Centred.
Together, these core values and ethos will define the way we carry out our work and study, inform the decisions we make, underpin the policies we develop, and shape how we interact with each other and with our stakeholders. They will be the common touchstones that define our shared culture and the foundations upon which our future success is built.
The next stage of the values project will work with staff and students to examine how we now embed our values and ethos in meaningful ways across the University. We trust that our community will begin to see the ways in which these values will underpin decision making and behaviours across Flinders, as they resonate in our policies, procedures and processes and become an integral part of the everyday experience for staff and students. This will not occur overnight, and we should expect a few missteps along the way, but the journey starts now.
- Focus on student success
- Empower students as partners
- Encourage the student voice
- Provide timely and meaningful feedback
- Celebrate student achievement
- Maintain the highest professional and ethical standards at all times
- Be accountable for our actions and follow through on our commitments
- Embrace diversity and promote equity, inclusion and social responsibility
- Treat others with courtesy and respect
- Foster a safe and healthy environment for work and study
- Trust and empower
- Seize opportunities and embrace change
- Learn from experience
- Be open and transparent in our communications
- Pursue critical and open inquiry
- Solve problems by “thinking outside the box”
- Promote personal enterprise and creativity
- Encourage teamwork and collaboration
- Be responsive and innovative when faced with new challenges
- Actively engage with business and industry
- Strive for excellence in every endeavour
- Commit to quality and continuous improvement
- Celebrate our achievements
- Deliver exceptional levels of service
- Develop future leaders
Send us your ideas on how we may embed these values at Flinders University.